Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:21:27 -0800
From:      David Armour <dfarmour@myrealbox.com>
To:        Kenyon Ralph <kralph@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_add -r openoffice Error: FTP Unable to get ftp:

Kenyon Ralph wrote:
> On 3/21/06, David Armour <dfarmour@myrealbox.com> wrote:
>
>> the handbook directions seem direct and specific. but
>> #pkg_add -r openoffice
>> produces:
>>
>> Error: FTP Unable to get
>> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/openoffice.tbz:
>> File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
>> pkg_add: unable to fetch
>> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/openoffice.tbz'
>> by URL
>>
>> is this a handbook, freebsd, kde or openoffice issue? combination of all
>> four? or something specific to 'dumb newbie'?
>>

> Well, that file doesn't exist, but there is a
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6-stable/Latest/openoffice.org.tbz.
>  Try pkg_add -r openoffice.org.

thank you for your reply. your suggestion seems to work, or at least has
not produced an error, yet. :c)

i thought i *had* tried the .org bit on the end at one point, but
apparently that was another version of me, in another universe.

it's still fetching it, as we speak... (tip-toeing around) i installed
the port a few weeks ago on a different install, and it required 9gb.
is there a way to find out how much space the package needs / uses? i
got the impression that the package route for large-ish installs such as
openoffice used less, but i've definitely been wrong before.