Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:17:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <cjsabatier@home.com>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2R pcm/sbc AWE records noise, not audio: 16 bit bug?; gus

On 02-Feb-01 Cameron Grant wrote:

[snip]

> to be quite honest, i've done very little but sound stuff for the last
> decade, and attitudes like yours only contribute to my feelings of
> dissatisfaction with it.  i feel honour-boud to finish what i started, and
> probably will, but you should remember that i'm not being paid for this, so
> i don't feel that you are in a position to make statements like those.  do
> feel free to take the torch, i've been wanting to pass it on for a while
> now.

Cameron, I've been interested for a long time in contributing in some way to
audio driver development.  I'm a musician, and so, of course, this is an area
very near and dear to my heart -- especially MIDI, which we're unfortunately
still lacking at this time -- but I have to admit, I'm clueless as to where to
begin.  I have *zero* experience writing device drivers, although I consider
myself a fairly competent C coder (i.e., provided the problem I'm dealing with
is something I understand), and have dealt with low-level systems programming
in other environments before.

Any advice on how one might go about learning the ins and outs of device driver
development for FreeBSD?  I do have "The Design and Implementation of 4.4 BSD",
BTW, as well as "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment".  Any other tips
would be much appreciated.

--
Conrad Sabatier
cjsabatier@home.com