Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:16:34 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        peter@netplex.com.au, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        abial@nask.pl, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: DEVFS & SLICE?

>> It doesn't give me anything but an emptier looking /dev with only those=
>
>> devices in it that I actually have :)
>
>And most important of all, it doesn't have da1s1e, so having /home on
>/dev/da1s1e causes fsck to fail unless /etc/rc opens /dev/[r]da1s1 first =
>
>to cause the disklabel to be probed and the corresponding [a-h] names to =

So open them first.  It's only necessary to open the whole disk devices:

	driverlist="da fla od sd vn wd wfd"
	(cd /devfs_mountpoint
	for d in $driverlist
	do
		for dev in `echo r$d[0-9] r$d[0-9][0-9] r$d[0-9][0-9][0-9]`
		do
			dd if="$dev" of=/dev/null count=1 >/dev/null 2>&1
		done
	done)

>appear.  Devfs is rather impaired without this and is the show-stopper =

Devfs is impaired mostly by cam not actually supporting it.  The devfs
entries for the whole disk devices currently must be created in each
driver, not in dsopen(), because dsopen() doesn't get called until
something is opened.  Cam neglects to do this.  The above script fails
for cam devices because there are no whole disk devices to open.

This could probably be done better by moving the creation of the whole
disk devices to dsopen() and calling dsopen() for each device just before
mounting root.

Bruce