Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:34:55 -0500
From:      "J. Whitson Linder" <WLinder1@home.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Lost Boot Sector

Greetings!
   A recent power outage prompted me to shut down my FreeBSD server before
my UPS ran out of juice. I issued the "shutdown -h now" command and waited
until everything was halted...then I cut the power. After power was
restored, I began to reboot my systems. My server, however, halted at the
boot prompt with the following error:

Disk error 0x4 (lba=0x2bff)
Invalid format

>>FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:wd(0,a)/kernel
boot:

I can type a "?" and get a root listing, but none of my kernels seem to
work...not even the two backup "safe" kernels I keep just in case. The
weird thing is, my custom kernels aren't listed. I have read through about
3000 posts on similar subjects, but none of those ideas seems to work for
me. I haven't upgraded or anything recently. This is a virgin install of
FreeBSD 3.1-stable. Disklabel reports that my original partitions and
slices are the same as ever (this is a "dangerously dedicated" install).
"/boot/loader" gives me the same error as above. I tried booting from
floppies and mounting my old partitions, but didn't have any luck.

I don't mind reinstalling the OS...I just would like to get the info from
/etc and my user homes. Anyone have any ideas?

J. Whitson Linder
WLinder1@home.com