Date:      Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:30:54 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        secmgr <security@jim-liesl.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 as storage server with raid5?

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 05:04:57PM -0700, secmgr wrote:
> Whatever you do, don't complain about it on this list, or you'll just be=
=20
> told that if you really wanted raid, you should be running SCSI disks=20
> and a raid adapter.  They may allow that 3ware does ok, but no ATA drive=
=20
> should ever be relied on and even s/w raid on scsi is only for ignorant=
=20
> lusers who are too cheap to do the "right thing".
> Those who think I run to hyperbole need only visit the archives.

I know what you mean but I think this write-up is a bit too harsh. As
long as the goal is to get _as reliable as possible_ without spending
too much money, I think software RAID has its niche.

Besides, I've seen a few hardware RAID controllers having issues
themselves (and they weren't the cheapest ones available either).

> One can only hope that gvinum actually works in 6 vs the buggy and=20
> incomplete alpha code that shipped in 5.x.  Having a man page is nice,=20
> but I'd rather have a raid 5 set that didn't panic the system and=20
> corrupt the set when it lost a drive (and this with modern scsi drives=20
> and adapter).

I haven't seen this (luckily!). I do know that sometime in 5.x there
was a RAID-5 bug in gvinum but then again the whole vinum/gvinum
transition was pretty dodgy back then. This is why I waited until 6.x
to migrate.

> I'd strongly suggest anyone using GEOM raid to do some=20
> fault insertion testing of their setup prior to actually relying on it.

I did. It worked.

--Stijn

--=20
There are of course many problems connected with life, of which some of
the most popular are 'Why are people born?', 'Why do they die?', and
`Why do they spend so much of the intervening time wearing digital
watches?'
		-- Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy"

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY

--at6+YcpfzWZg/htY--