Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 20:39:57 -0300 (ADT)
From:      arthur <arthur@col.auracom.com>
To:        "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lists, newbies & support

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Michael P. Sale wrote:

> 1.  Send out an email to all FreeBSD groups with this question.
>
> How many people on this list have been here for over a year and before
> installing FreeBSD themselves had never used a unix variant?  This does not
> count people that simply walked into a shop that runs BSD and had to learn
> it with the help of co-workers.
>
> I'll bet that you get a minimal response.

.... I'm finally crawling out of the woodwork, No I'm not really new to
unix, but the only other varient I have used is quite basic compared to
what FreeBSD has to offer, oh yeah, I've been kicking around these mail
lists for about 1.5 years now.

> If FreeBSD only wants customers that are familiar with unix, so be it.  They
> are doing a fine job.  It will continue to be a "techie" OS that is slow
> growing and will probably never really catch on.  I am beginning to think
> that this is exactly what most of the "elders" at FreeBSD really want.  They
> are probably already overworked and simply don't have a lot of time for
> truly newbie questions.

  I'm in 100% agreement with this statement, and I also feel that a
properly run newbie-questions list would be very beneficial to the entire
FreeBSD project. It would be a good place for people new to unix to cut
their teeth and ready themselves for the overwhelming amount of mail that
comes from subscribing to -questions.

> While technically, everyone may be right about some of the initial problems
> a newbies-questions list would cause, I firmly believe that from a business
> AND NEWBIE perspective (getting more people involved, understanding and
> staying with FreeBSD) a newbies-questions list is just a minimal first step
> in the correct direction.

  Initially there would be problems, but if the list was setup as
experienced newbies helping newbies it just might have a chance. Also a
list of this type hopefully would cut down some of the traffic in
-questions and mellow out the atmosphere of that list also.

> OK, I'll be quiet again.  (This should keep Sue happy for a while.  I think
> the last time I uttered that I disapeared for two months) :-)
>
> Till next time,
>
> Mike

... snicker, do you think Sue helped get -newbies started by disappearing
for months at time ? ;)

arthur@col.auracom.com

In a world without fences, is there a need for gates

--end--