Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10411: top, vmstat, iostat show 0% cpu idle & usage  on SMP system

The following reply was made to PR kern/10411; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, bob@pmr.com
Subject: Re: kern/10411: top, vmstat, iostat show 0% cpu idle & usage
 on SMP system
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:35:46 -0800

 On a P120 system running 4.3-RC I enabled rand_irqs="1 3" and started
 encountering this problem about and subsequent to load being applied to
 the system, especially network load.  I noticed that during an NFS
 mount the problem occurred.  I would think that the extra interrupt
 latency caused by rand_irqs caused timekeeping problems on the P120.
 Adding kern.timecounter.method=1 to sysctl.conf worked around the
 problem.

 Alternatively, setting rand_irqs="NO" and reverting back to EGD
 (Entropy Gathering Daemon) also resolved the problem.

 It is recommended that it be documented somewhere that setting
 rand_irqs on some slower machines may cause enough interrupt latency to
 cause timekeeping problems and list possible workarounds.

 I can make EGD available as a port for users of slower systems.

 Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
 Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
 Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
 Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
 Province of BC