Date:      27 Sep 2002 10:55:09 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Corey Holcomb-Hockin <crsntlvs@ipeg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Fxtv crash

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 10:22, Corey Holcomb-Hockin wrote:
> I have the XFree86 package that came with the 4.6.2 cd.  I've never
> tried to compile it from ports because I figured it would be a long
> download  and I'm on dialup.  Does this options add the mga_hal module?
>
> When you mentioned official Matrox drivers I checked the matrox website
> and found some linux drivers with source.  I guess thats not what you
> meant.
>
> I also tried getting dri working by compiling agp into the kernel.
>  XFree86 still gives errors about not finding mga_hal, then disabling
> dri.  Are these things needed for dma with the wintv and if so where do
> I get mga_hal?

The WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER option installs that mga_hal binary from
Matrox and uses Matrox's source for the 2d driver.  At some point I may
break the binary driver off into its own port which just installs the
mga_hal and we wouldn't use Matrox's 2d source at all.

XFree86 from ports is a significant download, but since it includes
security updates I highly recommend it.

As far as DRI, you should be able to get it working by following the
instructions at the link in the .sig.  DRI shouldn't be needed for
anything but hw-accel 3d.  I could be wrong, though, I don't know too
much about the Matrox situation.

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/