Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:36:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        Ronan Lucio <ronanl@melim.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error on Terminal

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Ronan Lucio wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A client of mine has the follow situation:
> They have a AIX server with several terminals connected in it.
> I don't know how speak it in english, in portuguese we call
> donkey terminal... :-/, it's a terminal with just monitor and
> keyboard (It has no CPU).

donkey terminal = dumb terminal in English.  Also a "serial console".

> Ok, when a user logs in, such terminal open a telnet section
> on a FreeBSD Internet Server where the user execute the pine
> program.

Serial console -> AIX -> telnet Freebsd, right?

> Until yesterday, they have a FreeBSD-3.2 box and everythink
> worked fine. Now, I needed to upgrade it to FreeBSD-4.5-RELEASE
> but, after I have installed it the user of the donkey terminal
> stop accessing pine program.
>
> If I log in with telnet from a PC running windows, it works fine
> but, from the donkey terminals it gives me the following errors:
>
> When I execute pine, it says:
> "Can't open terminal capabilities database"
>
> When I execute vi, it says:
> "No terminal database found"
>
> Does anyone knews what could it be?

FreeBSD console oddness.  I think FreeBSD expects the $TERM variable to
be something different to what AIX says it is.

If AIX uses sh (that is, bourne shell) try:

$ TERM=cons25
$ export TERM
$ telnet freebsd.host.name

Disclaimer:  I'm no expert on FreeBSD or other unix console settings.
It is just that this seems like a possible answer in this case.

--
W. Palfreman. 		http://www.palfreman.com/william/
Tel: 0771 355 0354	PGP ftp://ftp.palfreman.com/pub/wfpkey.asc