Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:11:18 -0700
From:      huntting@glarp.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   netiso

Can someone provide some brief background on why /sys/netiso was
removed?

I'm helping to write an ISIS implementation for zebra and I'd like
to use

	socket(AF_ISO, DGRAM_RAW, ISOPROTO_INTRAISIS)

to receive and transmit ISIS packets on various network interfaces.

Note that this doesnt actually require an CLNP or ESIS implementation,
so those sections of the /sys/netiso tree can, as far as I'm
concerned, be removed.  I just need to provide a way to get raw
packets from various network interfaces.  So will there be any
objections if I reintroduce enough of netiso, to support raw sockets?
Will the objection be less if I point out that this will probably
be a loadable module?

Of course I'm open to suggestions (or philosophical observations)
if you have other ideas of how to do this.  I had thought of using
bpf(4) (there's no other choice on Linux), but I'm not sure how
easy it will be to add and delete multicast groups on an Ethernet.
And then there's the question of ppp integration.  I dont know what
will be easier there.  Lastly, I want to be sure that this ISIS
code runs correctly on systems that actually use OSI protocols.

brad