Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:28:26 -0400
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.X-Stable, XFree86 and ATI Rage 128

Hi,

I just upgraded my pc, and the video card is one of ATI Rage 128 family
of cards.  I install 4.0-RELEASE, the CD set available at the time, and
when I did the XFree86 configure, it failed.  The screen setup started fine,
I was able to select the options for my setup, but when it when to the last
screen, it can up normal, ie with the white window in the upper left,
but there was no text or buttons in the window.

After reading the documentation, I decided that the problem was that the
version of XF3.3.6 for FreeBSD doesn't support that card.  So, I download
XF4.0.1 for FBSD-3.X, install, and configured it.  When I start it with
a startx it's starts ok, except it's a desktop larger than my screen, and
the ctl-alt-[+-] doesn't work.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to fix this problem??

Thanks,

Jim Ballantine