Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:32:49 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Loading kernel modules for virtualbox via script

Leslie Jensen wrote:

> On 2009-12-22 21:22, Doug Barton wrote:
>> The appropriate way to do this is to add them to /boot/loader.conf,
>> like this:
>>
>> vboxdrv_load="yes"
>> vboxnetflt_load="yes"
>> vboxnetadp_load="yes"
>>
>> You could also write a new-style rc.d script to do this fairly easily,
>> see
>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html
>>
>> for more information. There are also existing ports that use rc.d to
>> load kernel modules, although none of the names come to mind off hand.
>>

>> Doug
>>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I did test to load the modules as you suggest. They do load but
> virtualbox produces an error when starting a virtual machine.

If what you're saying is that you tried loading the modules in
/boot/loader.conf and that produced an error, then you need to start a
NEW thread on this list and describe what you did, and what the
results are in detail. This method worked fine for me in 9-current, so
if it's not working for you then we need to find out why.

> I found information in the forums suggesting that one could load the
> modules via a script i /etc/rc.d/. But with 8.0 that did not work.

Do you understand why it didn't work? Do you understand that my
suggestion is different than the one you received on the forum?

> I've tried to load vboxdrv and vboxnetflt via loader.conf and then load
> vboxnetadp manually before starting virtualbox. That also produces the
> error when starting a VM.

That sounds like a deeper issue to me that has nothing to do with HOW
you load them. Once again, you need to start a NEW thread to try and
diagnose the problem you're having.

> For now I load the modules manually with a script that also starts
> virtualbox.

If you have an actual solution that works then you should include that
information in the new thread you're going to create. :)

Doug