Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 19:38:38 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        khansen@njcc.com
Cc:        benedict@echonyc.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.5 keeps crashing . . . please advise. (fwd)

As Ken Hansen wrote...
> Not so fast there, I built an Alpha system the other week and the CPU
> ran DARN hot, I asked the vendor and I casually mentioned that it should not
> be a problem because "The cover was off the whole time" - he said I
> should never run my system for any length of time with the cover off, because
> the air is not flowing, it is stagnant over the CPU.
>
> I suspect that even though you have a fan next to the CPU, the heat is
> not being pulled away from the processor by the PS fan as it would if the
> case were closed, you simply have the fan blowing air onto the CPU and
> hopefully "pushing" the hot air away.

It is not only the CPU you want cooled, also the power regulator close to it.
On my Alpha not cooling the regulator enough has 'interesting' results
on stability. Intel chips of course also need regulators these days so keep
an eye on them.

'A system is only as good as it's cooling'

Wilko
---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --