Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:26:48 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Derek Schwartz <derekschwartz19@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation problem

--PHCdUe6m4AxPMzOu

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 01:01:08AM -0400, Derek Schwartz wrote:
> Hey, I'm trying to install the latest release of FreeBSD on my Dell
> Desktop, the computer originally had windows XP, but then the hard
> drive was wiped clean.
> I tried reconfiguring the geometry of the hard drive by using my Linux
> Ubuntu Disk Utility, I changed it to {0-a5} which I heard was for
> FreeBSD, but still no luck.

Well, 165 or 0xA5 is indeed the system partition ID for FreeBSD. But that h=
as
nothing to do with the disk geometry (which is cilinders/heads/sectors and
which you should _not_ mess with).

Read and follow Chapter 2 of the freeBSD handbook;=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install.html

Pay attention to =A72.6, Allocating Disk Space.

Since you are installing a desktop, I would recommend to create a separate
partition (in the FreeBSD Disklabel Editor, _not_ FDISK!) for your /home. T=
hat
makes it easier to separately back up the OS and your own data.

Roland
--=20

--PHCdUe6m4AxPMzOu

--PHCdUe6m4AxPMzOu--