Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2013 15:50:26 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "toolchain@freebsd.org" <toolchain@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make xdev broken

On Nov 17, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 17 Nov 2013, at 20:37, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>> In 9.2 stable on amd64, make xdev is broken.
>>=20
>> sudo make xdev XDEV=3Di386 XDEV_ARCH=3Di386
>>=20
>> terminates with
>>=20
>> In file included from =
/imp/svn/stable/9/lib/clang/libclanganalysis/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/c=
lang/lib/Analysis/CFG.cpp:17:
>> =
/imp/svn/stable/9/lib/clang/libclanganalysis/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/c=
lang/include/clang/AST/Attr.h: In static member function 'static bool =
clang::MSInheritanceAttr::classof(const clang::Attr*)':
>> =
/imp/svn/stable/9/lib/clang/libclanganalysis/../../../contrib/llvm/tools/c=
lang/include/clang/AST/Attr.h:148: error: 'LAST_MS_INHERITABLE' is not a =
member of 'clang::attr'
>>=20
>> what's up with that? Any ideas on how to fix this?
>=20
> Was it ever supposed to work?  As far as I can see in Makefile.inc1, =
it
> is only supposed to build binutils and gcc, but nothing clang-related.

But it builds clang stuff! Even though it isn't building clang. I added =
WITHOUT_CLANG=3Dt...

> In any case, to build clang, you also need to build tblgen and
> clang-tblgen as bootstrap tools, otherwise you might end up with
> incorrectly generated .inc files.  This is most likely the cause of =
the
> errors you list above.

That makes sense.

> If the only purpose of xdev is to build binutils and gcc, the easiest
> solution is probably to exclude the clang libraries from the
> _xi-libraries target, for example by setting WITHOUT_CLANG to a
> non-empty value.

Yes. I realized that. I should fix this by adding that to the makefile.

It isn't clear to me if xdev should evolve clang support or not. It was =
done the way it was to be as compatible as possible with normal cross =
development... I'm honestly not sure how to do that with clang.. The =
clang guys just blew off (or were ignorant of) xdev, so it isn't =
surprising it doesn't work. Annoying, but not surprising.

Warner