Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:04:22 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting rid of sysinstall - Was: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

--eNMatiwYGLtwo1cJ

Paul Robinson(paul@akita.co.uk)@2001.07.12 15:44:32 +0000:
> On Jul 11, "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de> wrote:
> =20
> > some rough and spontaneuos ideas:
> > - stripped down python interpreter runs as init
>=20
> Wow. If you think about it, that's quite a big departure from where FBSD =
is
> at the moment (or I'm missing the point). You might find a lot more people
> would prefer Perl if you're going to move to this kind of model (however
> it's been so long since I looked at this stuff, you might already be using
> this model, and I don't know about it), but I say ignore them. ;-)

perl might be superior in features at first glance but it has=20
serious deficiencies in the resulting code style, due to it's nature it
not simply enables programmers to do bad things[tm] but almost enforces
them to do so.

> > - every class has properties which can be preloaded (=3Dunattended inst=
all
> >   functionality from 'recorded' install session or manually generated
> >   setup)
>=20
> Potentially a hazardous thing to offer. I can see where you're coming fro=
m,
> but there are basic questions that would need to be resolved before we get
> into the other issues - e.g. where exactly is the install session going to
> be recorded to? You can't put it on the CD you're pulling from, floppies =
are
> a pain in the backside, and the early (more confusing parts) are not going
> to have a network available to them. Probably. Is their an existing
> installer that does this, and if so how does it record sessions?

what i was already thinking about was getting some minimal file access
layer -- or rather object access layer -- in place. this would give us
some options where to fetch stuff from and where to write it to. there's
one idea which might not be as obvious to you all which i had some
months ago for storing configuration data of systems after installation
in a safe place (for system restoration and so on). we could multiplex
the config writing to the install partitions on the disk and,
simultaneously, over the network onto a configuration storage server.
due to the object access abstraction it does not really matter what kind
of server this is -- it could be a filesystem hierarchy, ldap, corba,
you name it.

i do not see a problem with giving properties to instances in an
installer, storing them somewhere, and re-use them for subsequent
installs on similar pieces of hardware.

> >   so on, perhaps stuff configuration metadata into xml and re-write it
> >   to the appropriate (maybe new/different) format -- oops, i said the
> >   x-word :->
>=20
> That's quite a big project. Just getting decent XML parsers in place at
> early stages of install would be problematic IMHO.

as you might have read between the lines of my comment, this would be an
option, and i just mentioned it to keep the folks happy that think they
could solve nearly every single one of their business problems with xml.

> > - remote install dialog ui using ethernet as  transport (yay!) would be
> >   a nice idea
>=20
> No, no, no, NO! Please don't do this. Although it seems like a nice idea,
> securing this would be a nightmare, because the only way this could
> realistically be done is if the box decided to do a pure network boot,
> brought over an install image, and then you managed to ssh in or something
> at the right moment. It's too open to abuse. Again, it's a nice idea, but=
> think on a practical level it might be too complicated.

we are talking about installer runtime, when booted from a cd or over
the net or with a boot floppy. i would not enable this functionality
withing the installer of a running system, sure.

> > - making the base system consist of packages would raise the need for
> >   package db flagging of non-removable/mandatory pkgs
>=20
> Yeah, really decent top-notch package management is something sorely miss=
ing
> in FBSD. I have several times sat down and thought about writing something
> decent or even lift something from somewhere else, but never got around to
> it. One idea I had was to trojan install so that it could track dependanc=
ies
> on standard 'make install' builds. Maybe even put some stuff in 'make'
> itself, or 'configure'. When you think about it, it's not that bad an
> idea. But then, if it was a good idea, somebody else would have done it,
> except they haven't, probably for reasons I haven't thought about.

yes, getting the pkg-plist as a result of the actual install invokation
would make sense.

>=20
> > - with that step we also could package sendmail and bind out of the base
> >   system ;-) hint-hint
>=20
> sendmail sucks. I think this comes back to the issue of taste. First thin=
g I
> do after an install once I've secured it down, etc. is get sendmail off t=
he
> box and exim in place instead. If that was an option at install time
> (sendmail was never even on the box in the first place) I would jump up a=
nd
> down and smile. And stuff.
>=20
> > - package signature verification would also be a nice thing to have,
> >   especially with signature fetching over the net
>=20
> Still open to abuse. To really secure that you would need to put in measu=
res
> to prevent man-in-the-middle attacks, etc. Good idea though.

i simply do not get your point. you could do that with a http/ssl
enabled fetch client that knows the server certificate -- if that one is
compromised you're hosed, i know, but it improves package integrity
checking and security related stuff. compared to the current mechanism
this would be a lightyear leap.

> <snip big ascii diagram that seems to make sense and disclaimer>

it was written very spontaneously, don't expect it to cover all
aspects...

> Yeah, all seems to make sense. I think python might be a choice that will
> raise some eyebrows, but on the whole it seems pretty cool.

the choice of python for such a thing originates from a few key
features:
- you can strip down the interpreter to a bare minimum, keeping it small
- python2 with batteries-included libs/bindings make it runtime
  extendable
- you can distribute bytecode for all the modules which also cuts down
  overall size
- it encourages average programmers to stick to a way good style which
  keeps the code readable and open to engineering
- in-code documentation
- debugging is much easier than with perl/tcl/...
- it is not just an OO extension of a known language, thus it has no
  legacy stuff inside
- it is fast
- it is easily extendable
- you can pickle() any instantiated object (serialize and put to a file)

/k

--=20
> Motto of the Electrical Engineer:
>         Working computer hardware is a lot like an erect penis: it
> stays up as long as you don't fuck with it.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--eNMatiwYGLtwo1cJ

--eNMatiwYGLtwo1cJ--