Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:28:55 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600E -4BU: audio problems

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:10:02AM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:00:30 -0700
> > From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
> >
> > 	Hi everybody,
> >
> > 	The past few days have turned up some miscellany on my TP,
> > 	and pointed to as close as I can come to a valid conf.
> > 	The realplayer can't open the audio; it suggests that
> > 	something else is using the device.
> >
> > 	Here is an abbrev'tn of the boot logs plus my grepping
> > 	thru my GENERIC kernel conf.  Some of this is over my head,
> > 	including the grep output that shows multiple things
> > 	using irq 11.
>
> This is normal. FreeBSD has supported interrupt sharing since mid-V4
> days.
>
> I have just started to update my 600E to CURRENT to see if I can get the
> same sort of behavior you are seeing and if I can fix it. The 600E is a
> bit slow, do it will be a while before I have a bootable CURRENT kernel,
> but I'll send out a note with what I see when I get there.
>
> I can say that the driver is failing to attach the audio chipset
> properly and I would not expect sound to work until it does.

	As hte saying goes, "You the man", so I'll wait and see
	what you discover.  I did diffs last Saturday, diff and
	diff -u on three variants of /sys/conf/[files].  "pcm"
	is missing from -current; also in the -current "files"
	the developers have replaced xxx with snd_xxx where it
	pertains to the Crystal chipset.  Nutshell: it's over my
	head for the time being. --Meanwhile, thanks.

	If there are others on-line interested in the 600E series
	of Thinkpad, I managed to come up with some miscellany ...
	historical data and whatnot that I'd be happy to share.
	My laptop seems  to have been among the last of the series.
	Not powerful enough for gamers, plenty for other mobile
	work, tho.

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix