Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:17:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu, FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HELP: fsck dumping core!  (repost)

On Tue,  3 March 1998 at 15:30:57 -0500, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> 	We had an unexpected power outage that left the filesystem on one
> of my boxes corrupted enough to need a manual fsck to come up.  My problem
> now is that fsck dumps core at the same point repeatedly at the same
> point.  As a result, I have no /usr partition.  Doh!
>
> 	The last message goes somethng like the following:

>> MISSING '.' I=185876 OWNER=root MODE=40755
>> SIZE=512 MTIME=Jan 29 23:51 1998
>> DIR=?
>>
>> FIX? yes
>>
>> MISSING '.' I=184982 OWNER=root MODE=40755
>> SIZE=512 MTIME=Jan 29 23:25 1998
>> DIR=?
>> CANNOT FIX, FIRST ENTRY IN DIRECTORY CONTAINS proflibs-install.sh
>> MISSING '..' I=184982 OWNER=root MODE=40755
>> SIZE=512 MTIME=Jan 29 23:25 1998
>> DIR=/src/share/doc/papers/nqnfs/CVS
>> CANNOT FIX, FIRST ENTRY IN DIRECTORY CONTAINS proflibs-install.sh
>> pid 15 (fsck), uid 0,: exited on signal 10
>> Bus error
>

> 	Does anyone have any suggestions?  Am I SOL?

It rather looks like you're going to have to get out the last backup
tape.

> If someone out there wants to debug the problem so that it is fixed,
> I would be more than glad to assist.  A core dumping fsck is a
> _very_ scary thing to have on ones system.  I am a bit stuck to fix
> this myself, given that I cannot even get /usr/src back on-line.

fsck is more prone than most to core dumping, which is definitely an
indication of less-than-adequate checks in the program.  In your case,
however, it wouldn't help much to fix it: it would just tell you that
it can't fix the file system.  Particularly inode 184982 is a problem:
it's obviously a partial directory.  The same appears to apply to
inode 185876.

If you want, I'll take a look if I can get in to the system.  I'll
need root privileges.  Contact me privately if you want to take me up
on this one.

Greg