Date:      Sat, 09 Oct 1999 22:52:08 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        aron@cs.rice.edu
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, justin@apple.com, alc@cs.rice.edu, wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Subject:   Re: arp errors on machines with two interfaces

> > Garrett is correct, and sarcasm doesn't help.  You can't have more
> > than one interface on a given wire, with the same subnet address,
> > using IP.  Them's the protocol rules.
>
> Actually I am using different subnet addresses on the two interfaces. One is
> 128.42.3.77 and the other is 192.168.3.77. There are other machines in the
> dept running Solaris and other OS's that are connected in similar fashions.
> However, the Ethernet is switched and any broadcast by anyone is going to be
> seen by all interfaces connected to it.

What you are doing is not supported by the standard TCP/IP model of
communication. The fact that it (partly) works for you should be
regarded as incidental.

Try to think of it in terms of a traditional coax-based Ethernet, and
having two NICs on one host connected to the same physical Ethernet
cable. Would you expect this to work? (You shouldn't.)

> I don't have control over the hardware. But here's a possibility - wouldn't
> it be better if this error message generation in FreeBSD is turned off if
> the packet is an arp broadcast ? Like I showed in my earlier mail, the
> problem only happens due to arp broadcasts.

No, the problem happens due to the fact that you are connecting two
Ethernet NICs to the same segment. This is not supported. Why should the
error message be turned off just to please you, when you're using an
unsupported configuration?