Date:      Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:36:21 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Displaying options for current NFS mounts

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> Implementing the above functionality in mount(8) isn't actually that
> hard.  We would need to export the filesystem-specific <fs>_args
> structures (e.g., nfs_args, ffs_args) to the userland.  If we do that,
> mount(8) will be able to display all kinds of interesting,
> filesystem-specific stuff (e.g., NFS version and transport, whether a
> mounted CDROM is using Joilet, etc.).

	This probably a step in the wrong direction. In this way
mount(8) should be aware about all types of filesystems and their
flags/options/etc. May be fs (kernel part) can report these options as
string to the given userland buffer ? It is not necessary to use existing
statfs struct - now we have a very flexible VOP_GETEXTATTR() with
corresponding syscall.

> If some other people display intrest in this, and someone can suggest
> a less ugly way of getting the definitions of <fs>_args into mount.h
> (the only other way I can think of is to just move all of them from
> <fs>/<fs>.h to mount.h permamently), I'll implement this stuff in the
> other filesystems.

	Think about third party filesystems :)

--
Boris Popov