Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:32:13 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPro vs PII

> Given that newer PIIs/mobos will soon be running their cache at full
> speed, just like the Pro, I'd say the Pro is not worth looking at if
> you can swallow the difference in price for a PII.

Yes, but that's not going to help you now nor will you be able to
preserve your investment in CPU technology if you go this route now,
before the Xeon technology is released.

I think that what people are trying to say right now is that a dual P6
system is REALLY CHEAP and a heck of a good way to get into the SMP
waters for far less money than people used to spend on 286 machines.

You can go out and get an Intel dual P6 Providence mobo with on-board
SCSI WIDE and 100MBit ethernet support (AIC 7880 and Pro 100B
respectively) for < $100 now (we've been getting them for $89) and the
CPUs for $200-$300 each.  If you can put together a full system
including memory, CPUs and net/scsi ctlr/4GB disk for $1K right now in
the PII camp then I'd be most interested to hear it.  Since I think
the answer is currently that "you can't", there's still considerable
merit to the idea of buying 3 of these systems for $3K and deploying
them far more favorably than you could a single system costing the
same price.

I also agree with the person who said that a P6/PII argument was
senseless.  It's really a price/performance issue and always has been
for most people.

- Jordan