Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:14:26 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kernel@tdnet.com.br (Unknow User)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec 2940

> Does FreeBSD support adaptec 2940?

Yes. Its definitely supported in 2.2.8 and the 3.x series and possibly some
earlier versions as well.

> I am trying to install freebsd, but no success, FreeBSD 2.2.7 does not
> run, neither 3.2!
>
> Linux runs well, but freebsd isn't!
>
> SCSI host id=7
> HarDisk id=6 (quantum viking II)
> Adaptec 2940U/UW
> aic7880
>
> Can anybody help me with some tips, i am realy needing such information!

For people to help it may be instructive for you to post the information
displayed on the screen during the installation.  Particularly the hardware
probing and especially the section where the card is/isn't found.  The
relevant lines will look something like:

ahc0: <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x04 int a irq 16 on pci0.14.0
ahc0: aic7895 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec aic7895 Ultra SCSI adapter> rev 0x04 int b irq 16 on pci0.14.1
ahc1: aic7895 Wide Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

(although obviously yours will be for the 2940).  If you did manage to do
the install (say on an ide disk) you can get this information from the
dmesg command.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237