Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 96 14:34:31 +0100
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Pageable kernel?  [was: PnP Proposal]

> Jake Hamby:
>
> microkernel-type design (with dynamic memory management) a la Solaris,
> where every filesystem, device driver, etc, is a separate file.  I know,
						   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...and if either of these is damaged you're seriously in trouble...

> ... I'm dreaming, but it would still be nice...

A nightmare, it has been one of the most important reasons that I've
changed to FreeBSD and switched back to SunOS on our Sparc boxes.

FreeBSD is adult and doesn't need to follow every fashion.
The kernel size isn't really an issue well say up to two or
three MB. For a reasonable performance you need now at least
16 MB and be certain the requirements will further grow
regardless whether the system has a micro kernel or a rather
traditional kernel.

A micro kernel is a good solution for an commercial OS - it
allows to sell special service modules seperately - today an
OS still only without C compiler will tomorrow come without
networking capability, the day after tomorrow without scsi
driver. Call that scalable and you will become a rich man.
But there isn't need for that in a free operating system.

	Lars