Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:55:03 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, "Michael A. Dickerson" <mikey@singingtree.com>, "Duwde (Fabio V. Dias)" <duwde@duwde.com.br>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSHD revelaing too much information.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:49:20PM -0500, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

[snip]

> One thing I was wondering is if the version information could be
> delayed until the user has successfully authenticated to some user
> on the destination host.

SSH needs to know the version before it can negotiate the
authentication. Read the draft. Passing the version number in
plaintext at the start of the connection is not feasible to workaround
and does not really get you much.

This whole thread is about if for this version string,

  OpenSSH_2.3.0 green@FreeBSD.org 20010321

The 'green@FreeBSD.org 20010321' is too much information. The
'OpenSSH_2.3.0' part is required for the protocol.