Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 21:32:02 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        "'Joseph Scott'" <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>, "'Haikal Saadh'" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, Chris Coleman <chrisc@vmunix.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD software [was Re: The Bazaar part II]

"Person, Roderick" wrote:

>         >       Take a look at the packages collection, these are prebuilt
> binaries
>         > based on the ports collection.
> Ok, maybe I'm just not clear enough. I know about the ports collections. I
> use it religiously. But, there has to be apps for freeBSD that exist outside
> of the ports collections. My favorite mail app from Linux doesn't exist
> anywhere on a FreeBSD, not in the ports not in the packages. But, the Home
> page of the apps suggested that it has be compile against FreeBSD. So, I
> download the source and compiled it for FBSD.

So the appropriate thing to do would be:

	a) Create a port kit that will fetch, patch (if needed), make,
	   and install it on FreeBSD.

	b) Submit the port via send-pr and/or a friendly neighborhood
	   committer.

	c) Then port it to NetBSD and OpenBSD.  Shuffle the order of
	   BSDs to your liking.  If you need access to a NetBSD or
	   OpenBSD machine, this can probably be provided.

	d) Tell the world about it on a site devoted to BSD apps.

This mythological site could/should also offer porting helps, maybe a mailing
list or two, an IRC channel, and perhaps even access to porting machines.
I'll just be we can get kind-hearted FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD users to
open up their machines, or donate machines to the site, for porting work.

We don't need 4300 different sites all with a different, incompatible list
of some things that may or may not run on your machine, we need ONE really
good site with ONE exhaustive, authoritative list of EVERYTHING that runs
on your BSD machine.  Then we need to tell everyone on the planet how to get
to it.