Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 110 15:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   wu-ftpd mem % process?  capacity??

	I have a couple of ftp servers (Dell Dimension, Pentium 133
	with 128Mb of RAM apiece 64 - 128Mb of swap each).

	These are running FreeBSD 2.1 -- the kernels are compiled
	for MAXUSERS=128.

	Each of the ftp processes seems to take about 400K.
	That means that I can only get about 300 ftp processes per
	machine before I'm getting "out of swap space" messages.

	What can I do to increase the capacity of these systems?

		Would "strip"-ing the ftpd's help?

		Has anyone on this group used the 'anon-ftp' package?
		Does it support anything like WU's "guestgroups"
		features?  Is is sufficiently more lightweight than
		WU to make a difference?  Where I can I find it
		(or a FreeBSD port)?