Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:34:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Font <font@couscous.fortdearborn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 seems unable to focus

I have a FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box, installed from the CD along with
XFree86 from the same CD, which spends almost all of its time running
xterms and Netscape Communicator.  The port for fvwm95 has been installed,
and is pretty much uncustomized, except for the path to Netscape.  Machine
is IBM Intellistation M Pro w/Permedia 2 video.

Every now and then, for no apparent reason, the windowing system seems to
partially ignore left-clicks, so that I cannot click on any window to get
keyboard focus on it.  I can still select text, and middle-click to paste
that text into another window, but focus remains unchanged.  The only way
I can get focus to change is to click on the taskbar; then the appropriate
window has focus, but I have to use the taskbar again to get another
window to focus.

Restarting fvwm95 (from the menu) does not correct the focus problem, so I
assume that this is a problem in XFree86 itself.  Exiting from X entirely,
then starting it up again, does correct the problem, but of course I lose
the positions and contents of my windows.  Is this an actual problem with
XFree86, or is it more likely to be a configuration issue?  What can I
try?

I should note that in a previous version of FreeBSD w/XFree86 (on a Dell
with ATI mach64 video), I had the same problem with AfterStep 1.0 as the
window manager; in that case, right-clicking on the title bar twice
restored the window's focus and size, but again, the process would have to
be repeated for each window.  Yuck.

dw
--
font@couscous.fortdearborn.com