Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:45:20 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>, "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dan@freebsdzine.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH 1.2.1 refusing incoming connections

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried the OpenBSD mailing lists, but Theo
told me (privately) they cant help me as this is a FreeBSD issue.  I don't
know how he concluded that.

On 18 Jan 00, at 22:39, Roelof Osinga wrote:

> Too bad the ktrace doesn't log the function parameters. Perhaps
> "ktrace -i -ti" does? Or a debug session? Or maybe it does, your
> trace stopped short of the interesting stuff:

I think the problem is that I ran ktrace as non-root.  I did run it as root
and received about 277 KB of output.  I was about to supply a URL for
that output, but someone on IRC mentioned it contained encrypted
passwords.  Not a nice thing to publicly distribute.

> >  39607 ktrace   NAMI  "/usr/games/ssh"
> >  39607 ktrace   RET   execve -1 errno 2 No such file or directory
> >  39607 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfd79c,0xbfbfdc60,0xbfbfdc6c)
> >  39607 ktrace   NAMI  "/usr/local/bin/ssh"
> >  39607 ktrace   NAMI  "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1"
>
> All those execve errors refer to the system trying all dirs in your
> PATH. The last one (NAMI  "/usr/local/bin/ssh") succeeds. So at that
> point ssh gets executed and your trace seemingly stops.
>
> Anyway, looks like the NAMI entries are the parameters after all <g>.

I think I should do another ktrace. And edit the output.  I'll see what I
can come up with.

FWIW: on two boxes, both with FreeBSD 3.3-19991207-SNAP, one
works, one doesn't with respect to sshd.  Go figure.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/