Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 08:40:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Joshua Fielden <shaggy@houseofduck.dyn.ml.org>
To:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG, andreas.klemm@wup.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: inn problem, don't receive news

just as a heads-up, 1.5 was the version found to have a security hole
in it...

http://www.computerworld.com/news/index.html#970725SECURITY

has the story

On 28-Jul-97 Andreas Klemm wrote:
>Hi !
>
>I'm struggeling with inn 1.5.1 on my companies FreeBSD
>Gateway machine (FreeBSD-2.2-STABLE).
>
>I only have experience with inn getting news via UUCP.
>This worked fine so far. But now I deceided, to get
>news faster, so our internet service provider and I
>tried to change the delivery to immediate delivery.
>
>At my site I added his site (news.technet.net) to
>my sites (news.wup.de) hosts.nntp file:
>
>##  hosts.nntp - names and addresses that feed us news
>news.technet.net:
>
>For outgoing - which is currently working well here -
>I changed the entries in the newsfeeds file from:
># meservb/ddfservb.technet.net,meservb.technet.net,news.technet.net\
>#       :*,!wup*,!junk,!local*,!control/!foo\
>#       :Tf,Wfb:

>technet/ddfservb.technet.net,meservb.technet.net,news.technet.net\
>        :*,!wup*,!junk,!local*,!control/!foo\
>        :Tf,Wnm:
>
>My nntpsend.ctl file looks like this:
>technet:news.technet.net:2m:
>
>My crontab entry checks for news and deliveres every 5 Minutes ...
>
>5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55,0 * * * * /usr/local/news/bin/nntpsend
>technet news.technet.net
>
>The only thing I want to now is, what might be the reason, that
>I don't receive any news from him ???
>
>What else do I have to configure, that he is allowed to send me news
>using nntpsend (Netscape news server) ???
>
>I see no debug/log file, that indicates an error....
>
>Any thoughts ???
>

>       Andreas Klemm ///

-- Joshua Fielden, shag@concentric.net
SCSI is *not* magic. There are many technical
reasons why it's occasionally nessicary to
sacrifice a small goat to your SCSI chain.