Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 22:08:16 -0700
From:      leonard@pacbell.net (Leonard Chung)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sysinstall fails - Too many ECHO packets are lost?

I'm trying to reinstall FBSD using FTP over a PPP connection.  I'm using a
USR 14.4K Sportster modem on com 1, IRQ 4, with the following modem string:
AT&F&A3&B1&H1&C1&R2, which resets the modem to its defaults, enables HW
Handshaking, fixes the serial port speed, and tells the modem to give real
info for carrier detect.  The port speed is 19.2K.  There shouldn't be any
IRQ or port conflicts, as I have pulled out my serial card, so only the
modem is using any ports.

I can connect ok to my ISP, and login fine, and PPP enters packet mode ok.
The install begins and then all of a sudden after about 100K-200K has been
transfered (or about 3 minutes later), ppp suddenly drops the connection.
In the log, ppp reports that the connection was dropped because "Too many
ECHO packets are lost".  Does anybody know what is causing this program?
ppp worked fine for me before in FBSD, but my modem was on com 2 then.

When I tried to do a reinstall FBSD over FTP using the boot disk, I found
that for some reason, I couldn't access my modem, as even when I told
sysinstall to use com 2/cuaa1, it would always start up ppp with
com1/cuaa0.  If I manually tried to get ppp to switch over to com2 by
typing "set device /dev/cuaa1" and go to term, I find that it is still
using com1.  Before I tried to reinstall FreeBSD, I could use ppp fine for
hours on end, but now that I'm installing from the bootdisk, ppp fails
repeatedly.

I've tried playing around with many different types of modem strings, port
speeds, etc. but nothing seems to work.  Strangely, ppp can stay connected
as long as it wishes if no data is being transmitted, but the moment the
FTP begins, the 3 minute/200K timer starts ticking...  Has this happened to
anybody else before?  Is there just some little setup option that I have
overlooked?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks,

Leonard