Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:11:21 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Raoul Schroeder <memphis_ms@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: qmail does not accept e-mail (cont.)

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Raoul Schroeder wrote:

> > >I temporarily disabled all the tcpwrappers in hosts.allow (allowing
> > >anything), still no success...
>
> Okay, I was wrong here. That is exactly the problem. If I allow anything,
> then qmail works fine in every respect. Byt I don't want to allow
> everything...
> Which line do I need in hosts.allow for qmail? I tried qmail, qmail-smtpd,
> qmail-start, qmail-rspawn, and a few others. sendmail is still allowed,
> too, if it goes via the mailwrapper.
>
> Can somebody help with this one?

there are a lot of ways to deny access to your smtp service.

one of them is with /etc/hosts.allow where you can stop certain domains,
or IP blocks from accessing your qmail-smtpd service.

another way is to allow anyone to connect to qmail-smtpd but set your
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts files to allow incoming mail from smtp only
if it is directed to a recipient in your own domain(s?).  for instance, if
you have qmail controlling the mail for domain hell.gr you can add to your
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts:

	% cat /var/qmail/control/rcpthosts
	hell.gr
	.hell.gr

and be done with it.

another way is to run qmail-smtpd under tcpserver, as someone else
suggested (tcpserver comes with ucspi-tcp), and use Dan Berstein's
tcpserver and friends to build your own lists of domains that are allowed
to relay mail through your qmail-smtpd.

well, these are more or less the alternatives, unless i forgot some.
you can try them all and pick what suits you best in terms of
configurability and ease of maintenance in the long term :-)

- giorgos keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>