Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:58:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Steve Hovey <root@buffnet.net>
To:        "Neil C. Jensen" <njensen@salsa.habaneros.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'm almost afraid to ask, but....

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Neil C. Jensen wrote:

> It's time for us to upgrade and buy a new Internet server; primarily
> running Aache and probably mSQL. Our present server is based on FreeBSD
> 2.1R, and I've been very happy with it (thank-you FreeBSD team!).
> Unfortunately, I'm getting questions from my colleagues re. the use of
> other systems (i.e. Sun Netra, Sun SPARC5, SGI WebForce Indy, etc). The
> feeling is that because we are not paying (through the nose, I might add),
> we are not getting quality, fast systems. I would like to get some hard
> evidence to support my arguments to continue using FreeBSD.

I just love when damagement - er um I mean management gets that idea.
All I can give you is a testimonial on intel based machine unices - ok,
just about one.  We went with that same logic above and purchased SCO Unix.
The only think I can say SCO unix does without fail is crash at night
when you are in bed, on systems you have to get out of bed to fix.  Also,
when you ask for support, you pay big bucks (and I mean if you dont have
a contract its $300 for ONE question) and usually dont get a good answer.

FreeBSD is not perfect, but there are far fewer problems, they get fixed
pretty fast, you get speedy and helpful help both in usenet and on this
list, and you always can FIX IT YOURSELF in a worse case because you have
source.

I also note it is much faster that sco's open server 3 - I have not seen
SCO 5 because I frankly have had enough of SCO.

And just for the record, Im not one of the developers, nor am I sleeping
with or been paid by any of them to say any of this! :)