Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 12:29:01 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Michael Galassi <nerd@xyz.com>
Cc:        Marcel van Kervinck <marcelk@stack.nl>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pthreads and SMP

Michael Galassi wrote in message ID
<199812061719.JAA51729@percy.xyz.com>:
> Unless I'm wearing serious blinders I fail to see this as a real
> problem.  Unless you have only a tiny number of procs on the system it
> would seem like keeping related threads together would be a good
> thing.  If you had multiple closely related threads on seperate procs
> and they decided to acctually access their shared data I'm guessing
> you would see a lot of cache thrashing.

Then your threaded program is badly designed :)

Seriously, there are advantages to thread migration and disadvantages. I
believe Solaris only does thread migration when the CPU that the process is on
is overcomitted. So unless you were totally CPU bound (in which case the
process shouldn't have been threaded anyhow, as threads get their advantage
from being I/O or network bound), there shouldn't really be a problem...

Gary