Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 22:59:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: X and non-X graphics in 4.4-STABLE: system hangs.

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 12:28:16AM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 11:30:21PM +0700, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> >
> > > I have found a method to hang recent 4.4-STABLE and this is
> > > 100% reproducable with my hardware.
> >
> > There is also much simplier way to demonstrate this:
> >
> > 1. Build kernel with options VESA and options SC_PIXEL_MODE.
> > 2. boot and login at vty0 (no need to login as root)
> > 3. vidcontrol VESA_800x600
> > 4. swutdown -r +2 # to make shure that kernel will be dead too
> > 4. startx
> > 5. make shure that X started and switch to vty0
> > 6. switch back to X and system hangs forever, it will not reboot.
> >
> > Anybody with XFree 4.1.0 and S3 Trio 3D can confirm this?
> > This becames really annoying.
>
> I'm using a S3 Virge/DX 86C375 as a secondary adapter in X.  Lately
> about half the time when I start X from the console it completely
> hangs my system.  I am not using VESA console modes.  I'm running
> -STABLE from a couple of days ago, but I was experiencing this before
> that. Also using XFree 4.1.0_6

    I know that there are people out there doing this on a shoestring
budget and all, but S3 video chipsets are, in my experience, crap.  If
you spend $40 US or so on even an old video board such as an ATI Rage
Pro, these problems will most likely vanish.

    You can probably get a decent video board for even less than that.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)