Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:43:09 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Beyond 4 GB and 2-GHz Pentium 4 processors

To answer the question of FreeBSD and 4GB.

Most operating systems (32-bit based) are modified to work beyond
the 4GB limit. In my case with Dell, the retail Redhat v7.1 doesn't work
above 4GB. I had to use the modified enterprise kernel to get it to work
"properly". The enterprise version can handle up to 64GB of RAM.

I'd like to see testing done on the 850 chipsets and Intel's Pentium 4
processors using FreeBSD. Intel has their own specialized C/C++ compiler for
doing their own tests.

I'm mainly looking into laptops and Dell PowerEdge support using FreeBSD but
I do see people building websites focused on those topics - which is a very
good thing.

Ken