Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 23:25:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), mark@quickweb.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

> What Terry said with regard to 16 bit drivers in particular came *after*
> Nate said this was wrong:
>
> ] Nate says:
> ] >
> ] > You're wrong Terry.  The win31 -> win95 upgrade copies your autoexec and
> ] > config files to .dos, and rems some of the old drivers (like msdex) out,
> ] > but overall it will use the 16bit dos drivers happily.
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nate didn't say this.

> POINT 1:	The 16 bit disk interrupts can not be hooked
> 		successfully without disabling the Windows95 PM
> 		disk drivers.  This contravenes the claim indicated
> 		in Nate's last sentence above.

Counter-point.

The 16-bit Windows driver works on my Win95 box to drive
the silly parallel-port SCSI adaptor.  How?

> POINT 2:	LANtastic for Windows 3.x is well known to fail on
> 		Windows95 unless the PM disk drivers are disabled.
> 		This is a repeatable, concrete test which disproves
> 		the validity of Nate's claim.

No, this is a *single* event which shows that the Artisoft's product
does something funky with the OS that conflicts with the PM drivers.

You can't justify a all-encompassing statement with a single example.
Any example which refutes your statement makes your statement false.
(And there have been *many* people who have proof that youre statement
is false.)

Now, get your attributions correct.

Nate