Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:15:34 -0500
From:      trini0 <trini0@optonline.net>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.2: PS2 mouse disappears when switched through KVM switch-box

1)    Watch out for the html posts.  People dont like it around here.

2)     I just upgraded to a digital kvm because of the problems I had with
the mechanical one.  When I switch out of
        box and return to it, the mouse is no longer in my control, moving
where it not supposed to, and other garbage.
        So, Im planning to go through the archives and see what I could come
up with to solve this.

If anyone have any clues as to what to read or to do, please tell.
Thanks

Chris Shenton wrote:

> I'm trying to run kbd, mouse, video through a switchbox --
> unfortunately a lowly mechanical switchbox instead of a digital one
> like a Belkin.
>
> When I switch between FreeBSD-4.2-STABLE/RELEASE the mouse becomes
> inoperative.  The "moused" man page indicates that you can get it back
> by sending it a HUP, and this works -- assuming your dead mouse is in
> a window you can type in :-(
>
> This switch-box behavior is the same as just unplug and reconnect the
> PS2 mouse.
>
> Is it possible to have FreeBSD automatically recognize a newly
> (re)conencted mouse? Never had this problem with old serial mice. It's
> almost as bad as unplugging the keyboard or serial console from a Sun :-(
>
> I'd prefer not to spend big bucks on a digital KVM, but if I do, would
> it solve this problem? A search of Questions/Hackers indicates there
> are some current problems with digital KVMs and FreeBSD that do not
> occur with other inferior OSes...
>
> Thanks.

         _____________________________
         |          trini0           |