Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:00:44 -0800
From:      Karyn Williams <karyn@calarts.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   log messages to a specific file

I am trying to configure syslog.conf to send messages from one of my hosts
to a select file for that host. The host is currently sending messages to
the syslog server and they are being logged but I would like to have all
the messages from this host go to a separate file. FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/syslog.conf,v 1.13.2.4 2003/05/12 13:59:23 yar Exp $
#
#      Spaces ARE valid field separators in this file. However,
#      other *nix-like systems still insist on using tabs as field
#      separators. If you are sharing this file between systems, you
#      may want to use only tabs as field separators here.
#      Consult the syslog.conf(5) manpage.
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;authpriv.none;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err
/var/log/messages
+caioa.calarts.edu*.*                           /var/log/caioa.log
     <------- this is the line I need help with
security.*                                      /var/log/security
auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.*                                  /var/log/cron
*.emerg                                         *
# uncomment this to log all writes to /dev/console to /var/log/console.log
#console.info                                   /var/log/console.log
# uncomment this to enable logging of all log messages to /var/log/all.log
# touch /var/log/all.log and chmod it to mode 600 before it will work
*.*                                     /var/log/all.log
# uncomment this to enable logging to a remote loghost named loghost
#*.*                                    @loghost

The file /var/log/caioa.log exists and is 600. I got the syntax off a web
page, but it is not working for me and I don't see anything in the man page
that expalins how to do it.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.
--

Karyn Williams, CNE
Network Services Manager