Date:      Sun, 09 May 2004 22:57:44 +0100
From:      Tim Bishop <tim@bishnet.net>
To:        Rick Updegrove <dislists@updegrove.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot fails on 4testvirus.org messages

--------------enig54DEAB069F593AD6244BC76C

Rick Updegrove wrote:

> The current qmail-scanner port with clamav and f-prot both scanning for
> viruses fails on 4 of the testvirus.org messages.

> Lastly, my point is these "ports" are all current according to
> "portupgrade -rva" and have current virus definitions yet the
> combination allow viruses to get through.  This seems somewhat relevant
> to FreeBSD ports to me.
>
> So now that we have cleared up a few things, who wants to discuss a
> strategy to maintain an effective FreeBSD virus-scanner port for qmail?

Sorry - a late reply to this thread.

I maintain the f-prot port, and the definitions for it. I like to think
I keep the f-prot up-to-date as best I can (currently it's one minor
revision behind, and there's a PR waiting to sort that out).

However, the definitions are a harder thing to solve. The f-prot guys
update the definitions on an almost daily basis. Should I be updating
the port that often? I suspect not. A better strategy would be for users
of the port to keep the definitions up-to-date manually.

A good middle ground (which I'm trying to do a better job of) is
updating the definitions when a "big" virus goes around. I guess I could
also try and update them if they haven't been updated in a "while".

Any thoughts?

Tim.

--
Tim Bishop