Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:00:18 -0800
From:      JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usb CanonScan 650U

> I noticed the yesterday built 4.5-stable reconized my CanoScan usb
> scanner, it shew up as uscanner0 from `dmesg`. But sane-find-scanner
> doesn't now the type of my scanner still. I cheched the
> /sys/dev/usb/uscanner.c and only found 656U, has anyone get it worked
> for 650U?

Looking at <http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html>; it appears
that Sane itself does not support your scanner.

What you see from dmesg is the fact that the kernel itself recognizes that the
USB device is a scanner.  However, you'll need Sane to actually use the device.
Apparently, "Canon appears to be unwilling to release the necessary
documentation to enable a Linux driver and SANE backend to be written."

Looking at
<http://linux.ing.uniroma1.it/pipermail/lugroma/2001-May/005746.html>; confirms
this. Hence, I'd take a stab at editing /usr/local/etc/sane.d/canon.conf, and
if that doesn't work, I imagine you're outta luck :(

Sorry,
-jj

--
The set-uid bit is patented by Dennis Ritchie.