Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:52:57 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Subject:   Re: HEADS-UP: new dummy syscalls for linuxolator -> new console ?messages

Quoting Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> (from Wed, 14 Jun 2006 =20
14:45:45 +0200 (CEST)):

> Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net> wrote:
>  > Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz> wrote:
>  > > [...]
>  > > I doubt anyone will see any messages unless he/she sets
>  > > compat.linux.osrelease
>  > > to something higher then 2.6.16
>  >
>  > Which is not recommended except you don't mind running into bugs and
>  > getting coredumps from some programs.
>
> That's interesting to know.  Is that documented somewhere?
> I always set the sysctls like this (e.g. on FreeBSD 6.1):
>
> compat.linux.osrelease: 6.1
> compat.linux.osname: FreeBSD
>
> (I have an rc.d script which uses the output from uname -rs
> to set those two sysctls accordingly.)
>
> So far, I have never encountered any problems.  I'm doing

The linux base behaves differently based upon at least the osrelease. =20
It will use other syscalls when using 2.6.x than with 2.4.x. Fedora =20
Core 5 fails to work completely with the current value of osrelease. I =20
haven't tested yet, if the current default linux base port behaves =20
differently or or not.

> that because I use the Linux binary of Opera, and I prefer
> the "User-Agent" header to say FreeBSD instead of Linux,
> so it will be counted correctly for sites that collect
> statistics about the OS of their visitors.
>
> Should I expect to run into problems with that in the
> future?  If so, I think a warning should be added to the

Yes.

> linux(4) manpage.

I agree.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~150 EUR
you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen
http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137