Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:11:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        "A. Smith" <static@cybertours.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad P120 Router

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, A. Smith wrote:

> I have an IBM Thinkpad, P-120 with 40MB ram working as
> the gateway for my network. I'm running IPFW, currently using the default
> rc.firewall -OPEN ruleset. Everything seems to work very well (with the odd
> exception of my not being able to access random sites, like www.real.com
> ...but that's another issue) _functionally_ but the performance of the
> machine is in question right now. I would say 90 percent of the online
> applications I use work perfectly well.

are you sure the problems you're seeing are not related at all to the lack
of resolution?

can you provide some output from ipfw? i know your ruleset is open, but
having that is still handy.

also: give some output from dmesg, that also would be kind of nice.

> The exception is gaming. I'm an avid
> Counter-Strike player, and whenever I'm logged into a server I get some
> really bad lag spikes. I've got a 640d/90u DSL connection through Verizon,
> and this only happens when I'm using the BSD box as the gateway...if I
> connect the gaming PC directly, the problem goes away.

hrm. ok, i've never had this problem with any of my FreeBSD gateways. this
might be a hardware issue (as you've guessed already). it's something hard
to diagnose from the outside world, without some more information.

> I have a 3com 10mbit pcmcia card on the outside interface and a Linksys
> 10/100 pcmcia card on the inside interface. My suspicion is the Linksys
> card, purely because I have had latency problems when gaming with PCI
> Linksys cards in the past. Is there any way, short of replacing the card,
> that I can determine if this is the case?

not really. you could run through some diagnostics (systat, top, et al),
but those might not be nearly as imformative as you'd hope.

i would trade out the two cards, and run ping tests to the other end of
your connection through them.

so, 3com on the internal interface, linksys on the external. see what
happens when you flood from the internal network (so, ping the linksys
card from your internal net), then run the same tests from the router. see
if the problem persists on the router itself.

switch them back, and start all over again.

> And, if anyone has any other suggestions as to what might cause this problem
> I would be greatly appreciative

not sure what else you can do. you already hit on the real issue: it might
be the hardware.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan