Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 1996 18:08:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/bpatch/pkg COMMENT

> Hmm.  I always thought it's the pronounciation.  If a `u' is
> pronounced like a `you', as in `unit' (`you-knit'), it's a consonant,
> and if it's pronounced like a weak `a', it's treated as a vowel as far
> as articles are concerned.
>
> What about `an unpleasent experience'?  Do you say `a' here?

I think that words like `unpleasant' are a special case given that
they're pronounced differently (you don't say "yoon-pleasant" unless
you're from Scotland, and then nobody can understand your english
anyway so it doesn't really matter).  That's the key here, I think.
If the starting `u' is *pronounced* like a `u' (yoo) then you say `a'.
If its pronounced like `ah' or `uh' or something similar then the
other rule kicks in.

Don't forget, this is not so much a _grammatical_ rule that follows
the lines of the alphabet, this is a *pronounciation* rule derived
from the fact that saying things like "a apple" just doesn't roll off
the tongue very well.  Nobody ever said that english was a language
that made much sense, hell, it's a walking card-catalog of special
cases.  It's often a matter of great wonder to me that non-native
speakers learn it at all!

					Jordan