Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:12:18 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [Summary] Re: Reading Solaris 2.5 filesystems

> I have a bunch of MO disks with filesystems on them, written on Solaris 2.5.

Thanks for the responses.  As suggested, the disklabel, the superblocks and
the inodes are all system-dependent (byte order and layout/size/contents).

For the record, I have a work-around:
 - attach the MO drive to FreeBSD
 - Find a solaris host with a free partition > 600Mb
 - do something like
    dd if=/dev/rda0 bs=8k | rsh solaris-host dd obs=8k conv=sync of=partition
   which works even with the unrecognised disklabel
 - mount the partition on the Solaris host.

We will run with this for the moment.  If it gets too onerous, I'll have a
look at building a conversion utility that would would run over a disk image,
reformat the relevent bits, and leave a file that could be mounted with the VN
driver (etc).

[Why don't we just connect the MO drive to the Suns?  Because AFAIK the Solaris
2.6 SD driver doesn't support MO drives, the only Solaris driver we have is the
Artecon one that only works for 2.5, and we don't have any 2.5 systems left.]

Greg.