Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 23:25:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Matt Rosenberg <matt@server.wulaw.wustl.edu>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2 -- COMPAQ / PCI

On Fri, 4 Oct 1996, Stefan Esser wrote:
>  > More problems with COMPAQ and the PCI bus.  I tried installing the latest
>  > version (2.2-960801SNAP) to try and solve the problem, but on the probe of
>  > the PCI bus on my COMPAQ ProLiant 5000 it fails to find any of the PCI
>  > devices other than the chipset and also shows the wrong amount of memory.
>  >   COMPAQ ProLiant 5000
>  >   Adaptec 2940UW
>  >   3Com PCI EtherLink 10/100 card
>  >
>  > from the boot disk kernel for 2.2:
>  >  avail memory = 13496320 (13180K)
>  >  eisa0: <CPQ1561 (System Board)>
>  >  Probing for devices on the EISA bus
>  >  Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
>  >  chip0 <Intel 82375EB PCI-EISA bridge> rev 21 on pci0:15:0
>  >  pci0:20 Intel Corporation, device = 0x84c5, class = memory (ram) [no
>  >   driver assigned]
>  >  chip1 <generic PCI bridge (vendor = 8086 device = 84c4 subclass = 0)>
>  >   rev 4 on pci0:25
>  >  chip2 <generic PCI bridge (vendor = 8086 device = 84c4 subclass = 0)>
>  >   rev 4 on pci0:26
>
> Hmmm, two PCI bridge chips ???
>
> Well, you left out one important detail: This appears to
> be a Orion based Pentium-Pro system, and those are special :)
>
> You will need a more recent version of the PCI code than
> was compiled into the 960801-SNAP.
>
> [snip]
>
> Yes. Find a more recent boot floppy. There was an announcement
> of an "unofficial" SNAP a few weeks ago, and that one should
> fully support your system. (But I can't remember WHO sent that
> announcement.)
>
> If you can move over the AH2940 to some other system for the
> installation, then this ought to work just fine, too. After
> finishing the SNAP install, you'll have to rebuild the kernel
> with more recent PCI code (/sys/pci/pci.c and pcisupport.c).
> Move over the controller and boot disk to your Compaq after
> installing the new kernel ...

Well first I tried to use sup to get the latest code and do a make release
to create a new boot disk.  The make world part couldn't compile all of
the way through each of three different times (supping first each time) I
tried.  So I installed the 960801-SNAP on a second system, then supped to
get the latest sys code (I assumed would include the new pci.c and
pcisupport.c) compiled a new kernel then moved the hard drive and
controller back into the Compaq.  Same exact problem.

Question: where can I get pci.c and pcisupport.c and know that they are
the most recent copies, so I can try again?  Secondly, I have a 3Com 3C905
which the second system found on the pci bus, but said "[no driver
loaded]" even though both the GENERIC kernel and my new kernel had the vx
driver compiled in.

Matt Rosenberg
Washington University School of Law
matt@www.wulaw.wustl.edu  http://www.wulaw.wustl.edu/~matt