Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:45:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      cjc26@cornell.edu
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        "James F. Young" <napalmski@home.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: swap size with 256mb ram(newbie)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Zhihui Zhang wrote:

> > I set bsd up using the automatic settings which defaulted to double my
> > physical ram.  I am trying to determine if a 500+mb swap is actually
> > necessary with that much or if I can just make one thats is linux style
> > (e.g equal to my physical mem of 256)
>
> Making the swap space twice as large as your memory is a thumb of rule,
> which is said in many CS text books I believe.

And probably not a good rule to follow for >128M or so, especially if
you're not using your machine as a heavy duty server or something.  Why
don't you just try it with 256M of swap, see how it works.

--
cliff crawford   http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/cjc26/
          main(q){6-q&&main(q+1),putchar(67+3*(19%q-q/4));}