Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:32:40 -0700
From:      Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP RST attack

On April 20, 2004 11:43 am, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 02:26 PM 20/04/2004, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> >Dragos Ruiu <dr@kyx.net> writes:
> > >
> > > This is not true. The attack does not require sniffing.
> >
> >You need to know the source and destination IP and port.  In most
> >cases, this means sniffing.  BGP is easier because the destination
> >port is always 179 and the source and destination IPs are recorded in
> >the whois database, but you still need to know the source port.
>
> While true, you do need the source port, how long will it take to
> programmatically go through the possible source ports in an attack ? That
> only adds 2^16-1024 to blast through

Also keep in mind ports are predictable to varying degrees depending on
the vendor or OS, which further reduces the brute force space you have to=20
go though without sniffing. That's what this thing boils down to imho - the
space you have to blast through, the time you have to do it in, and=20
the bandwidth/rate available to do it. And there are competing factors,
and questions about what are the real world values. I'm still waiting
on final answers...

cheers,
=2D-dr

=2D-=20
Top security experts.  Cutting edge tools, techniques and information.
Vancouver, Canada	April 21-23 2004  http://cansecwest.com
pgpkey http://dragos.com/ kyxpgp