Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:17:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Mark J. Miller" <mjmiller@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Printer setup, Panasonic KX-PS600 over || port

Hi,

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.2 and I'm loving it.  But I can't get my
printer to work.  I've read the handbook, and tried it with both polled &
interrupt mode.  It's a directly-connected, PCL-compatible Panasonic BW
Laser printer with a copier/scanner, and the cable is IEEE1284 compliant.
It worked recently under Win98, so the hardware should be OK.

My kernel is basically generic except for 'device pcm' (sound card
support) and 'options USER_LDT' (for aviplay).

dmesg reports:

# dmesg|grep lpt
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lpt0: switched to polled standard mode

When I try `lptest > /dev/lpt0` the system slows down for a second
(meaning x11amp hiccups), but nothing ever gets printed-- no paper is fed,
no blinking lights, no text.

I'm out of ideas.  Is there anything else I can try?  Desperate,
one-in-a-million longshot ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Mark Miller