Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:16:39 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        kline@tera.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: still hanging up...

    Gary> Recently (past few weeks, max), when I am working
    Gary> remote and connected via user-ppp, my keyboard will
    Gary> lock up.  The mouse moves the curson and things X-Window
    Gary> events happen, but the keyboard is Dead.

Is there any chance you're running Netscape while this is happening?
I've experienced some problems with keyboard focus and Netscape.
Apparently, Netscape refuses to give up the keyboard focus after
interacting with some of its dialogs or with text entry fields on a
page, particularly after pasting text into a field with button 2.

    Gary> Ihad thought that this was a file system problem,
    Gary> especially when /var seems to always be trashed upon
    Gary> power-cycling.

Probably normal for /var, and probably nothing to worry about ... so
you lose a log file, big deal.

To avoid power cycling, make yourself a little Tcl/Tk widget that'll
shutdown the system cleanly when pressed.

    Gary> Usually after I clean the filesystems by doing several
    Gary> fsck's, then I can login via ppp and have no problem.
    Gary> An hour or so ago it happened again, with the fs's
    Gary> _clean_.  Then minutes ago, it happened yet again.

    Gary> Anybody have any clues?

To see if the keyboard is actually dead, try switching from your X
window session to another virtual terminal ... use CTRL, ALT, and one
of the Function keys all at the same time.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov