Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:52:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

Hi,

> work. I have a board that has an AMD K5 90Mhz, 32BM RAM, two 504MB Quantum
> HDDs, and an ATI 264CT video card with 2MB RAM.

I think this hardware is all fine.

> I want to move away from Windoze 9x to a stable and dependable OS. Would
> I be better off installing say, Redhat 5.1, or the latest version of
> FreeBSD?

Of course we'll say FreeBSD!  :-)  The only experience I have w/ Redhat
wasn't a particularly good one, but much of that can be blamed on the sys
admin.  RH was installed here as a dept server.  I believe (and was told
by our WinDoZe person) that he did a basic standard install.  That
standard install had a HUGE number of things running that didn't need to
be, ie:

	innd (a news server - we weren't a news server!)
	httpd (we had no web pages on this machine!)
	gopherd (a gopher server - does anyone use gopher anymore?)
	bootpd (no machines were booting off this machine)

Now the sys admin SHOULD have disabled all of these, but didn't.  Of
course the sys admin also didn't notice a root compromise to the system,
through bootpd or innd, I couldn't tell and didn't look that hard.  We
only knew when we got a bunch of email from disgruntled sys admins at
other sites as he attacked them through our server.  That machine is now
running FreeBSD and the sys admin was fired from this job.

> And, what X-Windows GUI should I run on my
> machine? Damn! there are so many of them!!

This is all personal preference.  I recommend going to:

	http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/

which has a good overview of most of the various window managers.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of
transport grow daily more nightmarish.  Only the bicycle remains pure in
heart."  - Iris Murdoch, "The Red and the Green"